Highlights of the programme include:
- Spend 15 days working in a Zoo in Negara working closely with primates of which Orang-utans are the main focus. Activities include feeding, cleaning, and enrichment (enriching life of primates).
- Two-day visit to Matang Wildlife Centre with our expert staff - see orang-utans in rehabilitation before being released to the wild. Learn about how the centre works and understand orangutan behaviour
At the zoo - Volunteers assist the zoo keeper in feeding, cleaning & maintaining animal areas.
Head to Sakau village in the Sabah region of Borneo where you will help with the restoration work that is greatly needed to help the habitat of orantg-utans, elephants and other wildlife move between fragmented sections of forest in the area. During this time you will also be helping to collect information on the number of animals in the area which will help future conservation volunteers know what changes are needed.
Please note: there is no physical interaction with Orang-utans.
What’s Included in the Programme
- All accommodation - simple, basic and with bags of character - based on dorm style with a minimum of two persons sharing.
- Food - all inclusive (as part of food allowance), apart from the occasional meals on certain travelling days, ie at airport and whilst in KL and Kuching.
- Meet and greet on start date
- Orientation and welcome lunch or dinner
- Private transfers on specified days to all hostels, lodges and destinations
- Local guides and specialists
- Access permits
- Volunteer programme
- Evaluation with supervisor
- Donations are made to local projects on behalf of the volunteers
What’s Not Included in the Programme
- Travel insurance
- Alcoholic beverages
- Personal expenditure
- Meals on Travelling Days
Prices and Durations
Malaysia Orang-Utan Experience - 28 Days