The Orphanage Volunteer Project
The project is demanding yet the feeling of satisfaction gained from helping underprivileged and often sick children is huge. You will spend your time caring for the orphaned children, playing with them and generally giving them the love and attention they so badly need. There will also be ample opportunity to immerse yourself in the Moldovan lifestyle and culture in its capital city Chisinau.
Children are always the most vulnerable members of society. One of the goals of this project is to give the children a sense of self worth and to provide kind and compassionate human contact that they otherwise would not have. Your help as a volunteer is needed to provide the children with love, attention and the knowledge that someone cares about them.
Volunteer work takes place in a large rehabilitation centre for young children of 0-5 years.
The Small Children’s Rehabilitation Centre
The centre is home to about 200 children between 0 and 5 years old, some of whom are mildly or severely disabled.
The children are split into 11 groups of about 15 to 20 orphans divided by age and disabilities. Due to the lack of staff at the Orphanage, these children rarely have any playtime or attention other than being fed, dressed and washed. This is where the volunteer work comes in. As a volunteer you would choose a group to work with and spend time caring and playing with children on a daily basis. You may also help occasionally with the feeding and dressing of the children.
There is also the option during your stay to visit and help out at a smaller private orphanage run by "Save the Children". During the summer months this will be held at a summer camp outside the capital. There are 15 to 20 children aged between 2 and 16 years old and activities will include games, painting workshops, and team building activities.
What’s Included in the Programme
- Airport transfer to and from Chisinau International Airport
- Orientation on arrival
- All accommodation during your stay
- Full support and assistance from your coordinator throughout your time in Moldova
- 2 meals a day (breakfast and dinner)
- 24 hour support number and contact in the UK for emergencies
- Internet access
What’s Not Included in the Programme
- Personal travel insurance for the duration of your placement, which should include cover for repatriation
- All flights
- All items of a personal nature, such as curious, gifts, clothing (work and other)
- Soft drinks, beer, wines and spirits
- Any excursion over and above your planned itinerary in Moldova
Prices and Durations
Moldova Orphanage Volunteers - 2 weeks £579
Moldova Orphanage Volunteers - 3 weeks £759
Moldova Orphanage Volunteers - 4 weeks £939
Moldova Orphanage Volunteers - 6 weeks £1,169
Moldova Orphanage Volunteers - 8 weeks £1,429
Moldova Orphanage Volunteers - 12 weeks £1,949